Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Carpe Diem Special #3

SPECIAL #3
Howdy my dear haijin, visitors and travelers,

A new Special today. The haiku by Basho he has written in the Summer of 1685. He was an well respected haiku master now and had several students. It's in this time (the last ten years of his life) that he travels a lot. His haibun 'Oku no Hosomichi' is one of his most known haibun. However the haiku for today isn't part of that haibun.
Basho's legacy of haiku are mostly haiku he used in Renga sessions. A Renga was a chain of poems and was written with more than two poets. Renga was a game that was played often at the Imperial Court. Basho was the haiku master that brought this game to the people and made it a joyful activity.

Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Well ... so far a little background on Basho. Let's look at today's haiku.

a butterfly flies
only in the field
of sunshine


It's a nice haiku and I can see the scene in front of my eyes. A meadow bathing in the sun, full of blooming flowers, the sound of a summer breeze and the dancing butterflies. A sereen scene ... almost meditative. How to write a haiku on this one ... with the same feeling?

sunlit meadow
butterflies dancing together
from flower to flower


Another one:

dancing butterflies
the scent of a sunlit meadow
ah! the summer breeze


Well ... I think I have caught the essence of Basho's haiku. It was really a joy to compose these two haiku with the one of Basho for an inspiration.



This Special will stay on 'till October 19th 11.59 AM (CET). Our new prompt for October 19th will be religion and will be published today around 10.00 PM (CET).

Enjoy writing haiku, be inspired ... see you tomorrow.




9 comments:

  1. This haiku by Basho is one of my favorites. I have it written in my journal of haiku that moved me! You're haiku inspired by it are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Think this haiku by Basho is even stronger as his wellknown 'frog pond' haiku. It's to me one of his wonderfully composed haiku.
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Excellent ~ Do think your were Basho in one of your previous lives ~ They are so well done ~ Wow! ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment Carol, but that's to much honor for me ... it feels sometimes as if I am Basho as I write haiku. I the reïncarnation of Basho ... don't think so (smiles)

      Delete
  3. oh, how magical! I believe you have certainly captured the essence of Basho...Simplicity in words....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The three haiku are bright, but the master is the master, hehehe! (I am kidding)
    :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I didn't know about Basho before you started Carpe Diem. Thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful information about the Haiku Master :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your Haiku and the one by Basho is magical indeed. I thought I have made a comment here earlier...grrrrrrrrrrrr...anyways, I love this challenge. I was going to use DRAGONFLY but I do not know if that will be what is required.Do we have to use butterflies only? I am always very please with your visit and words of encouragement as I know I am far from being as good but I truly enjoy writing in this form, kind of addicted to it actually. Have you a wonderful day , my dear friend.

    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to be part of this community of haiku poets.

    ReplyDelete