Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Carpe Diem #114, Mariachi (mexico)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today we start a little musical trip around the world. And we will start in Mexico were the Mariachi's are the folkloric musicians. After Mexico we will visit Argentina, Portugal and Japan. So let's go on a trip around the world with music.

Mariachi is a form of folk music from Mexico. The name refers to the music, the musicians and the band/orchestras that play it. Mariachi began as a regional folk style called “Son Jaliscience” in the center west of Mexico originally played only with string instruments and musicians dressed in the white pants and shirts of peasant farmers. From the 19th to 20th century, migrations from rural areas into cities such as Guadalajara and Mexico City, along with Mexican government’s cultural promotion gradually changed this Son style, with its alternate name of “mariachi” becoming used for the “urban” form. Modifications of the music include influences from other music such as polkas and waltzes, the addition of trumpets and the use of charro outfits by mariachi musicians. The musical style began to take on national prominence in the first half of the 20th century, with its promotion at presidential inaugurations and on the radio in the 1920s.



Isn't it wonderful music? I hope that I can write a haiku on this prompt myself. Well ... I have to try.

at the festival
the joyous sound of Mariachis -
sharing happiness

sharing happiness
on the streets of Mexico City
a Mariachi band

I love that Mariachi sound very much ... so different with our Dutch music on Wooden Shoes (smiles).

Have fun, be creative and share your haiku with us here on Carpe Diem.

This prompt will stay on 'till February 7th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will share our next stop in our musical world trip, Tango (Argentina), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).




8 comments:

  1. This prompt gave me some challenge, but I always want to write it before I read yours. It's more fun that way. As usual I like yours and I can hear the music through your words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well marachi certainly warmed up the Northeast climate for me ~ Hope all is well ~ Great post and haiku as always ~ Carol of A Creative Harbor on blogger ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. whew this theme is challenging! lol i love how joyful your haiku is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic... a musical haiku. I love your examples. :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one, even though it was not so easy to conjure in haiku... :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of your prompts - will be challenging myself to have a go...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me a while to get past thinking of non-mariachi Perez Prado...
    Cherry pink and apple blossoms white, I think, from the fifties ?
    Went to a performance in the sixties and it was LOUD !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found in drafts on my blog the post for Mariachi...sorry...I thought it had posted.
    I notice it is logged in above as posted...sorry about that.
    Sigh.
    Am enjoying the trip around the world in music.
    Peace,
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete